Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Rape Scene in "Fear"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
~Ultragotha~

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 12:27 am    Post subject: Rape Scene in "Fear" Reply with quote

OK, I don't mean to be a bummer, but I
must admit that when I think back about
"Fear," I keep wondering at my (and others')
indifference to the fact that David
forces Margo to have sex with him.

In other words, David rapes Margo.
Hence, David is a rapist.

We are all excited about him being
cool and sexy, and, meanwhile, this
character is a rapist.

What bugs me is that I liked this movie,
I enjoyed the scary parts, the cheesiness,
the sexiness, the whole lot of it.

But here we are on a message board, and
most of us (I think) are women. I'm sure
that most of our lives have been touched
by rape either directly or indirectly at
some point in our lives. My best friend's
mom was raped by her nextdoor neighbour.

How can we be collectively oblivious to
this part of the film? I am not saying
that we should hate it or never watch it
again, or that we should take it totally
seriously.

But isn't rape too trivialized in American
culture as it is?

I guess I've had my say. Just needed to
register my discontent with that part of
the film, and get it off my chest.

-Ultra G
p.s. I think we might've discussed this before, so sorry if I'm being redundant!
kacibug

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is an interesting point to bring up. i think, though, that all of us being mostly women are to caught up in david being fine or sexy or whatever you want to say. plus the whole love concept between him and nicole. plus that is only just one little part in the movie, it doesn't really center anything around that part like it does david and nicole's relationship and then david being pretty much psycho.
~Ultragotha~

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, Kacibug.

I think what gets to me is the way in which the rape is de-emphasized.

It could have been a lot worse; I've seen
tons of movies that linger on scenes where
women are getting beat up, abused, assaulted,
raped, etc. etc. etc. If "Fear" had that,
then I don't think I could ever watch it
again.

But, as I said, I did like the movie. I just
think it's too easy to overlook this one,
very violent aspect of David's character.

Do we have any collective limitations on
what we find sexy in film, or are we at the
mercy of some Hollywood producer who can
make us think that any deplorable character
is sexy and desirable?
quincy_21

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2001 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i agree that the rape of margo was extreamly looked over!!

After david took margo off when nicole was looking in the window she didnt want to talk to either of them (Margo and David)the next day. why would anyone shun their friend when she has gone through something like that??? i have no idea

this film freaked me out, alot, but i still watch it againg and again.
Tigger00Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are forgetting that the character portrayed by Margo in the movie was a druggie who had been with tons of guys and was all over that nasty friend of David's. I'm sure she wouldn't have turned him down or even made him try to stop. Sometimes people put themselves into situations by their lifestyles and actions. I think that scene of the movie was not intended to be a "rape."
Just my view of course.
~Ultragotha~

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2001 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Margo character was rather sleazy or "loose," but she wasn't getting it on with anyone except for the loser with long, shaggy hair. For some reason, she was fascinated by him--I don't recall her hitting on anyone else.

The whole point is (and I'm sure you've heard this before) NO ONE deserves to be raped, or is at fault when someone else sexually assaults them. If in doubt, see the film "The Accused."

Rapists have a choice about how they behave; no one FORCES them to rape. David's character had already made up with Nicole at that point in the story--he already had a willing sexual partner. What he did to Margo was cruel, deliberate, and unforgiveable.

Women are allowed to dress as they want, flirt as they wish, and still have the right not to be raped or sexually assaulted.
butterfly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what your saying Ultra

I've had some seriously bad experiences with guy's Ive been sexually assualted in the street, even stalked once.
So i must have a warped mind, because it was this film that made me fall for mark.
My friend watched it with me and thought omg this guy's a nutter,whereas I kept thinking, no way he break into my house anyday.
goldynstreets

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason no one is bothered by the
fact that David took advantage of Margo...who was loose and in that scene....half dressed and so high...is that it was....Mark Wahlberg
and we all are hooked on him!!!!! To me..he
never could be evil....he is just too sweet to be evil......
Crissy Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i get what some of you are saying about "David" taking advantage of "Margo" but you have to remember that it's just a movie no one was actually molested. and yes i get what your saying about "Margo" being very "easy" so to speak. And Yes rape is wrong but you have to remember it was in the "script" it wasn't Mark himself doing it he was protraying a character. But "David" as a character i don't think he should be taken as a "rapist" because the movie was bascially a guy who has no family and is kinda "messed up" in the head and found someone that liked him for him and when he began to lose that he went crazy and would do just about anything to keep that person even if it means killing anyone or anything.
obsessedwithmark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would do mark if he really was even a rapist!
Markys sweetie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, are you ladys like all over 20?
Emat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scene made me sad b/c I did not want David to be cheating on Nicole. I was disappointed, you know? And I know this sounds awful, but Margo did not put up much of a fight. Yes, I know she was very high and everything and I am NOT saying what he did was OK or that she deserved it. Anyway, why did Logan put up a fight when the skinny guy came over and touched Margo but put up no fight when David did? Not that I have rape fantasies or anything, but there was something sexy in the way he scooped her up and stalked off with her. How did that actress get such a wonderful body? Working out, I guess. I was really jealous of her perfect bod!
markymark123jnic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultragotha i understand where you are coming from and it is so true what your saying, but i wasnt drawn to david in the movie i was drawn to mark himself, because mark looked hot in the movie that was all. but i understand what you are saying and rape is serious.
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultra, you're not being redundant. It's a very valid point. And I thank you for posting your thoughts.

Americans are just so uptight about sex, women are suppose to be like some virgin goddess, while guys are suppose to be rutting animals, spreading their seed. Yet women also are suppose to attract males, wear revealing clothes, put makeup on, wear wonder bras, etc. Yet in the animal world, it is the males who carry all the colors and plumage to attract the females.

The male hierarchy system in a majority of the world has always placed these contradictary ideals on women. Besides the Slut/Virgin complex, there is The super mom(AKA Soccer Mom) ideal. Someone who works 9-5, takes care of the kids, cleans, cooks and be the loving spouse. Studies have shown women still do more work than men even in the most enlightened households.

You can see it is not only men who contribute to the perception, women also have disdain for women who do not fit into the norm. Several posters said Margo was slutty. But if a man acted like Margo, would they be labeled as such? I doubt it. Even among gay men, some call each other sluts, but it's usually meant to be more of an affectionate expression.

The fact it was Mark playing David, should not overwelm the character in my opinion. You should believe it was David, not Mark acting/playing David.

I myself have been stalked, and believe me it is not fun, exciting or even titilating. It makes you paranoid, fearful and lose alot of trust in people. Whatever you felt Nicole felt, it's 100 times more worse.

Fear, while interesting and fun at the time I saw it, has an added element since that incident. The character has an added menace when I see it now, as my stalker while not violent had mental problems as well.

As noted, nobody deserves to be raped. Whether on drugs, drunk, or just being stupid, nobody deserves or should happen to people because of it. It is the ultimate invasion against a person's body and mind. That is why male prisoners in jail are raped, to strip them of their dignity, respect and self worth. There is nothing sexual about it, it is used to show power over another.

I really hope Obsessed understands this. You can have fantasies about it, but if you really think about it, you would not want it to happen to you. I think if you read the stories of women who were raped (stranger or date rape) or stalked, you will understand why you shouldn't take light of a very serious situation brought out by this film.

Lianne
Oh and yes I'm 23 yrs old.
Andrea69

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just a movie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Fear All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: