Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
1st unfav review I've seen...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Perfect Storm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
busy91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 9:00 am    Post subject: 1st unfav review I've seen... Reply with quote

THE PERFECT STORM - (**) - George Clooney is an incompetent
fisherman who foolishly takes his crew into a raging
hurricane. There. That's the movie. Now you can save your
money and 129 minutes of your lives. After an endless
almost-hour of boring introductions to family members and
friends of the crew (none of whom are significant to the
plot...remember Mission to Mars?), the boat finally takes
off. Lots of accidents happen solely to offer a remedy for
boredom. A shark bites Marky Mark's leg. John Reilly falls
overboard and swallows enough water to sail a canoe in.

Both characters shake off these apparently minor
inconveniences and press on to the next happening. Marky
Mark doesn't even limp, for crying out loud. But speaking
of limp, that's a good word to describe the acting and
screenplay. I had bad "Three Kings" flashbacks with Clooney
and Marky Mark blandly regurgitating inane dialogue. I
frequently laughed at the script, with lines as cornball as
"They're going straight into **** ." No, that would be the
trip the audience is taking. Unintended comedy relief:
Look for Christopher McDonald going over the top in a bit
part as a psychotic meteorologist. Every time the movie
threatens to redeem itself with something, anything, it
instead takes another step backward. There's an irrelevant
rescue attempt of ANOTHER ship by the Coast Guard, which has
nothing to do with the story we're supposed to be
following. Much is being ballyhooed about the special
effects when the storm finally hits. FX monsters such as
Twister, Independence Day, and Godzilla proved that without
a story to back up said effects, the final product is
unacceptable. This is also the case here.

THUMBS DOWN!

10-point scale rating: 3

Mark's 2000 Movie List Rank: 30th out of 38 movies (.210
pct.)

Comparison Reviews: Roger Ebert: (*** 1/2); James
Bernardinelli: (***); USA Today: (** 1/2); Orlando
Sentinel: (2/5); Rotten Tomatoes: 68 total reviews, 38 %
positive. Entertainment Weekly: C +

------------------
Liz K

[This message has been edited by busy91 (edited 07 July 2000).]
madaboutmark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a something I read regarding The Perfect Storm.

SO WHAT IF THERE WAS A BAD REVIEW, THIS SAYS IT ALL!!! (We already knew this to be true.)

Way to go Mark!!

BOX OFFICE
"The Perfect Storm" swamped its rivals at the Fourth of July holiday box
office, according to studio sources.
The Warner Bros. film -- starring George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg in the
recreation of a 1991 weather disaster -- accounted for about 33 percent of
the $193 million total during the five-day period, which saw many businesses
take Monday off. The movie is based on Sebastian Junger's bestseller.
Sony's opening of Mel Gibson's Revolutionary War epic "The Patriot"
finished a solid second.
DreamWorks' second weekend of "Chicken Run" followed in third, edging
Fox's second weekend of "Me, Myself & Irene."
Universal's opening of "The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle" came in a
disappointing fifth. The family comedy was unable to overcome mixed reviews
and the audience's unfamiliarity with the offbeat TV cartoon from the early
1960s.
Rounding out the top 10 were "Shaft," "Big Momma's House," "Gone in 60
Seconds," "Mission: Impossible 2" and "Gladiator."

Here's to all of the faithful fans!!!

Jean-Anne

------------------
There is more to Mark then meets the eye!!!

Finally Mark is getting the reconition that he strongly deserves!

MaRkYmArKLoVeRDA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so who gives a s*** about that review all the ones i have seen give it 3 or 4 stars. They're probably jealous the patriot didn't do better lol my guess.
loving mark always,
diana
busy91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that is the only one I've seen. I can't imagine how 99% of the critics can like a movie and this lone one doesn't. I should look and see what they said about the Patriot, probably gave it rave reviews.

Personally I think the review is mean spirited, attacking more the actors than the movie itself.

JMHO.

------------------
Liz K
~StephMW~

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why some people hate the movie so much! I was talking to someone and they also said it was boring. HOw can it be boring?! I saw it twice and still wasn't bored with it. I mean come on half of the movie is in the water with violent waves hitting the three different sailing vessels!
I guess you have to understand how much prep time it took for them to learn how to catch swordfish and stuff.
I thought it was an excellent movie that well developed the characters. How can someone say that it wasn't necessary to introduce some minor characters...that is what helps us understand their lives a little better which makes us feel sorry for them at the end. Ok well i just wanted to state my opinion on the matter and i wanted to say Mark did an excellent job and i really think that this movie should boost his career even more

Mark's biggest fan,
Stephanie
Cathy Y

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This review was stupid and nasty. Obviously the guy has a bone to pick with George and Mark, he even trashed them in "Three Kings" and that film was universally praised.

However, I'm sorry to say that the reviews were far from 99% positive. I'd say that slightly more than half were negative. You can check out some of the reviews here: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movies/titles/perfect_storm/reviews.php

The good news is that some of the negative reviews singled out Mark Wahlberg's performance as one of the best thing about the movie. The bad news is that some of the positive reviews said things like "well, there's not much in this movie in terms of characters or the human side of the story, but the action and the special effects are really great."

Now, don't jump on me but having seen the movie, I have to say that, sadly, I agree with much of the criticism. Yes, Mark gave a very good performance, and he was great in his early scenes with Diane Lane. However, the character development was pretty thin, the dialogue was full of corny lines like "This is where we separate the men from the boys," the action scenes during the storm were totally unrealistic (no one could even stay on the deck in that kind of storm without being washed overboard, let alone climb on that outrigger like Clooney did). And I am really sorry but the scene of Mark's farewell to Diane Lane was so over-the-top sentimental. I was MUCH more moved by Troy's cell-phone conversation with his wife in "Three Kings." Anyway I don't want to start a fight here, but that's my opinion. If you're interested I posted my comments about the movie here http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?177971-88 .
busy91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK I was streaching when I said 99% but I am biased. I can't believe that 1/2 were negative. I thought the film was real exciting, I was on the edge of my chair waiting for the next scene, even if it didn't have Mark in it.

Mark WAS real good in it. But he is just a great actor, and I'm not saying this because I am a fan, he is very talented and even the critics can't deny this (except that dumb one above!)

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I was just astonished at the nastyness of the personal attacks. A bad review is one thing but character deformation is another.

------------------
Liz K
Cathy Y

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the personal attacks: pay no attention. Some of those Web critics like to show off how "smart" and bad*ss they can be.
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to negative reviews, there are some, but it's just one person's opinion. The complaints of not enough character development is a just complaint, except one has to remember the movie is called The Perfect STORM. So the overiding emphasis is on the storm. The movie & book are constrained by the total lack of knowledge of what actually happened to the characters after contact was lost.

Also in the equation is the budget and getting people to watch a film. Although I have a large attention span, I think it's not that common. If Wolfgang was allowed to fully develop the characters, he would of ended up with a 4+ hr movie. Unlike Das Boot (was 3+ hrs before being cut for the US Market) TPS cost $120-140 mil, so to recoup costs, it had to be marketable, managable & fulfill the wishes of the cast/crew of honoring the people they protrayed. So on that note, TPS has done all three, making money, getting people to see it & not screw it up by tacking on some cheesy happy ending.

Lianne
(who loved this movie & can't wait for the DVD and getting a DVD Player to see it with)
JDS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me sad to read that review. But like someone said that is just one persons opinion. And i am not being biased here either but Mark did an excellent performance in the movie. He's best yet. He should be proud of his acheivements.

I thought the movie was brillant and that all the small bits that the other actors did folded in well to get to know the whole town and what they were like. The fact that they banded together in a crisis even the ones that didn't know them.

I still would of gone to see the movie if Mark hadn't been in it. Through the whole movie i was on the edge of my seat. I could not keep my hands still. And there were definitely times where i was starting to feel sick. I know the one time where they showed the clouds above and zoomed right into it , and then went straight through them and keep going right down to the ocean , i felt like i was going to puke. I really did.

I know that from about the middle of the movie i just couldn't stop crying. I don't think i have ever cried so much in a movie.

Anyway i think that it was brillant. Mark and George and everyone else in it, were great and did the film justice. It's just really sad that it actually happened to people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Perfect Storm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: