Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Who read the book?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Perfect Storm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 2:39 am    Post subject: Who read the book? Reply with quote

Who read the book? I read the book last summer when I found out that Mark was making a movie about it...(what would my english teachers have to say about that!).

Though some people say that the movie does the book injustice, etc. I found I prefer the movie, and not just because Mark was in it (though he is 99% of the reason!). The book was great in giving narrative engineering, setting up all the facts and hypotheses of what happened on the boat when the meteorological forces came together, but it lacked one thing: emotional attachment.

I guess I'm more of a visual person, I have to picture the actual events to see the horror of mother nature going bad. This is what the movie allowed me to see.

I don't think you can make a movie (besides a documentary) using the same narrartive format as the book. The book didn't put human faces on the boat, but rather, events that led up to the "perfect storm" and what the boat went through technically when the storm hit. The movie provided the faces and through these actors we see what these fishermen endured.

Despite enjoying the book, I loved the movie!
Annie M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit,
Well, I was an English major, and that was very well put! Thanks! I have the book-- and intended to have it read by now, but have not yet. So I will be seeing the film first (this Friday, the 7th), and then will read the facts in the book. It really is his "best guess" at what happened to the boat anyway, since no-one actually witnessed it who survived.
I agree that putting human faces on a tragedy makes it hit home more personally, and more profoundly. But there is also a place for "just the facts, ma'am", because they can help you understand some of the whys.
Linda Greenlaw, the swordboat Captain who was Billy's friend, has said that he did make a good decision in going out again, b/c of the money factor, but it was a big risk b/c of the lateness in the season.
It was unfortunate that the 3 storm systems colided and merged right over the area where the Andrea Gail was. I've seen some background documentaries, and they say that the storm blew up in minutes, from calm and just cloudy to hurricane force. The crew never had a chance.
The author also said that Billy's last communica with anyone was at 6 p.m. when he really did say, "She's comin' on boys, and she's comin' on strong!" It is estimated that the boat went down probably by midnight.

------------------
Annie M

[This message has been edited by Annie M (edited 05 July 2000).]
Carol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just get chills thinking of those poor men on that boat seeing what was coming at them and knowing, after a certain point, that they weren't going to make it. What I really liked about the book was getting a sense of the local culture in Gloucester, how closely linked the townspeople are to the commercial fishing industry. Even people who don't actually fish themselves have some connection to it. And how they are emotionally impacted by these trips their loved ones make, and the waiting for them to come back . . . For some reason, I didn't get as strong a sense of this from the movie as I did from the book , and that kind of lessened it's impact on me to some extent. Other opinions??
chel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2000 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the book. It went into so much deatail and when I went back to see the movie for the second time I'm glad that I knew a lot more.
Like the part with the hook going into the hand and bringing him into the water, it was really true and my friend and I weren't sure at first. Things like that.
I did get more emotional with the movie, the second time was even worse...I have no idea why.
I just can't even imagine what those men actually had to go through. It's very scary and sad.
Well, just wanted to say that I liked the book and loved the movie, it's one I will be buying...
witchhazel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sailor friend of mine recommended the book this past February- he is a very well read guy, so naturally I took his advice...It was truly one of the most powerful books that I have read (former English major). I found it especially clever that as you read the story and approach the sinking of the "Andrea Gail", you are closer to the section in the book where the pictures are. As you finish reading about the crew's demise- you are looking into the faces of those men who just perished. It is heart wrenching.
I know that there have been a couple printings and two of them don't have the actual photos included- do yourself a favor and spend the few extra dollars for the complete book!
I was also engrossed in this book the same time we had a Nor'easter/ blizzard that paralyzed Baltimore for about a week.... it made it all the more realistic!
witchhazel
Adrienne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the book after seeing the movie and found it to be actully more horrifying. The book doesn't end with the sinking of the Andrea Gail but goes on to describe what happened to others left behind in the storm and after. After I fininshed reading I went to bed but didn't get much sleep that night! I must add that I loved the movie and want to go for a third time!
Erik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the book and I lived the life of fishing on the grand banks.Ialso met Billy Tyne in St. Augustine Florida in the spring of 1987. I knew of him more, just from radio chat. You may fish next to another boat for ten years and never acually get to met the fellows on board.I only met Linda Greenlaw face to face coming home one trip while she was lobstering in the Munson Canyon. She had done her season in the banks in three trips, where we had to make a fouth trip to stay ahead.She was on the end of her outrigger handing me a couple of cartons of smokes that we steamed twenty-five miles out of the way for! Thanks again Linda! Any way the book was given to me a couple of years from my sister, who among others in my family was always concerned for my well being out at sea.I can only say that the first time that I visited the trailer,it sent almost uncontrolable chills thru my body.And yes I did openly weep knowing the horror that Billy and his crew suffered.Any one that has been up there in the late fall can relate to the weather that you go through.I finally got up the nerve to see the movie,and it was well done,except in some parts, which is understandable.Read the book before you see the movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Perfect Storm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: