Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
review of the yards :"expect oscar nods all around"!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
*TiGerLiLy*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 2:51 pm    Post subject: review of the yards :"expect oscar nods all around"!! Reply with quote

**MAJOR SPOILERS***

---------------------------------------
The Yards" - A Review by 'The Flaming Heterosexual' (Positive - Major Spoilers)

About a month ago, Miramax held a test screening of THE YARDS, in NYC (the place to be) starring Mark Wahlberg, Joaquin Phoenix, Ellen Burstyn, Charlize Theron, and James Caan. I finally got around to writing a review. Miramax has very high hopes for this film, which recently debuted in Cannes. Expect Oscar nods all around. Like director James Gray's first film (LITTLE ODESSA), THE YARDS takes place in Brooklyn, NY. THE YARDS is a brilliantly acted, but not so brilliantly paced film that deals with corruption within the railroad unions in New York.

Mark Wahlberg plays Leo Handler, a pretty likeable kid just home from prison, trying to turn his life around. In need of fast money, he gets involved, with old buddy Willie Guitierrez, (Joaquin Phoenix in what's easily his best performance) who happens to be a local union tough guy who works for Leo's uncle Frank (James Caan).

Willie and Leo hit the railyards to vandalize some trains, to gain a little leverage on a rival union for the next contract bids. The railyard supervisor, who is normally on the take, refuses to cooperate, and is stabbed to death by Willie during a struggle. Leo who had been acting as a lookout, is seen by a cop. A fight ensues, and Leo beats the cop half dead. The murder ends up being pinned on Leo, and he's forced to go on the run alone.

Don't want to give away too many more details, but in the second half of the film is when the drama kicks into high gear. Here are some key words; love triangle, fugitive, and whistleblower. Oh and one cool-as-**** accidental death scene that comes out of nowhere.

Like I said earlier, this is a very well acted film, that can use about 15 minutes of trimming. Speaking of trim, in case you were wondering.....yes Charlize Theron gets naked in this one ( I think she and Julianne Moore have clauses in their contract, that stipulate that they have to show their ass in every movie).
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news.htm
-----------------

now since this thing has major spoilers i didnt read it. only skimmed over it a little bit. but the part about the oscar nods caught my attention!! could this mean mark's big break?? a best actor nomination!??! i really hope so!! he totally deserves it!
ahhhh! now i really cant wait to see this movie!

christina*theoriginal*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh since you skimmed over it then i wont tell youit mentions mark getting totally naked in this one....
*TiGerLiLy*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christina! u almost gave me a heart attack w/ that one! haha i wish he did!
but i did read somewhere else that he shot a couple scenes w/ his shirt off. mmmmm yummy!
*TiGerLiLy*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another one

"The Yards" - A Review by 'Christophe' (Positive - Minor Spoilers)

Since I consider Little Odessa as one of the most beautiful and poignant (do you say that in english, it means very emotional...) film noir of the 90's, i had great expectations. So i was a little bit disappointed : the story is exactly the same (redemption, mother/son relationships, the burden of the past...). So for those who saw Little Odessa and were pleased, they shall not be surprised and/or disapointed. If, like me, you expected something new, well, it's cleary a minor movie made by a great and underrated director.

Hopefully, Mark Wahlberg deserves raves for his performance, Joaquin Phoenix shows more talent and nuance in his play than in Gladiator. On the contrary, James Caan thinks he's reprising his role of Godfather, and most of the times is ridiculous. Faye Dunaway, how talented she may be, will never match Vanessa Redgrave's performance in Litle Odessa.

James Gray, also thanks to Harry Savides beautifully crafted photography (remember The Game?), shoots memorable scenes: the fighting between Wahlberg and Phoenix (as good as Fight Club), the silent killer hunting in Faye Dunaway's appartment (like the one in Little Odessa with Tim Roth kidnapping a sleeping mobster in his appartement at night).

But overall it is pretty much deją vu. Nevertheless, i can't wait to see his next movie (in less than 5 years please!).
http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/t000728a.htm#Rev4

---------------------------------------

Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2000 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Review (mixed)
http://www.joblo.com/yards.htm

Lianne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Yards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: