Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
is mark singing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyndsey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:33 pm    Post subject: is mark singing? Reply with quote

i watched a show with mw and he said he sang most of the songs in rock star...but i just bought the soundtrack and it doesnt acknowledge him! did he just sing in the movie then they had other ppl to sing on the soundtrack or did he not sing at all?
Kris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was curious about that too. I don't have the soundtrack (yet) but when I saw the credits at the end of the movie, he was listed under vocals, and I saw (in interviews) him saying he sang 30%. I would think the singing would be the same on the soundtrack, anyone know for sure?
AcousticRocker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitly wondering that same question cause I bought the cd and find out that the songs were by a Mike Matijevic and the assembled Steel Dragon, as well as the Verve Pipe, no mention on the web site of the movie or anywhere that I have noticed of Mark even Singing in the movie only thing I heard was in the showtime extra that he had 7 months of voice training for the movie but still no mention of his singing in it.
markydirk88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, k well i'm not sure but i'm just gonna take a guess this is what i got out of it, k i got the soundtrack to the songs of steel dragon aren't him singing but... in the movie it is him i think maybee mixed with the verve pipes voice and sometimes not even his k yeah hope it helps
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound editors used some of Mark's vocals along with the singers you see listed in the soundtrack/credits. Instead of just cutting and splicing sections, the editor mixed them together so you can't really hear Mark, it's a hybrid voice, which is why some of the songs in the movie sound a bit different than the soundtrack. More info here

Soundtracks are funny things. There are inspired soundtracks, music from the movie, instrumental background music types, it depends on space on the CD and copyright. I think also part of the reason Mark isn't on the soundtrack, is his unease about the music business. I forgot which interview it was, it's posted somewhere in this section, but WB wanted him to record that little rap thing he does toward the end of the film, but he didn't want to.

I'm sure it'll be explained in greater detail on the DVD.

Lianne
lyndsey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for everyones responses!
JustDeb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI....Mike Matijevic was the lead singer of a pop-metal band called Steelheart back in the 80s...

For those of you as old as me...remember their big hit "I'll Never Let You Go". Whooo that brings back memories!
Jennie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustDeb,I remember Steelheart.I loved that song.
He Just Does It For Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that voice, but I couldn't put my finger on from where.....thank you so much for clearing that up! Mike is a good singer, but there does seem to be something missing on the soundtrack. :-\
kirkcuddyfan1

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak to Mike Metijevic a lot and he laughes at the thought of everyone thinking that MW sings all the songs. Mike sings "we all die young" "blood pollution" "long live rock and roll" The whole 80's thing brought back a lot of memories.............
Music Lover

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I just watched "Rock Star" earlier today
and I was blown completely away with it. It is a good movie.
I felt a little weird, though. After seeing this movie, I know I will never be truly happy until I am on the stage. It's been my dream since I was a child, now it's time to make the dream come true!
I wanted to thank Mr. Wahlberg for portraying his character in a believeable way, not sugar-coating it.
What ever the music business has to offer, I want it. I will except the good with the bad.
On the question of "was he actually singing the songs", I couldn't tell he wasn't. Looked to me like he was rocking himself nuts.
This movie is now one of my favorites.
I really enjoyed it!
Love and Light,
Music Lover
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he totally sang the whole thing. He is the one singing on the soundtrack...WHICH KICKS *** !!!, I love when he sings "we all die young",and the last song in the movie where he is in the coffe shop, but anyway, it's all him....
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, did you recent posters read the above postings? Because we already established (last year actually) that it is NOT Mark singing on the soundtrack. Anyway to have a final word on this whole deal.

If you look at the liner notes to the RS Soundtrack you would see:

Vocals by: Jeff Scott Soto for Living the Life, Stand Up and Wasted Generation

Vocals by: Mike Mitijavic for We All Die Young, Blood Pollution and Long Live Rock & Roll.

Vocals by: Brian Vander Ark for Colorful. He of the Verve Pipe.

Now what I had been talking about was in the film itself, whose sound was recorded at a different time from the soundtrack. I don't want to get into the whole making of a film tutorial here, but the article I linked to explained it clear as day. Mark's voice along with Mike and Jeff were mixed by the sound engineer in post production. While filming Mark was singing, but we don't hear just him.

I was pretty sure it wasn't Mark hitting all those high notes when I saw the movie. Compared to his real voice and his recording career, it seemed a bit out of his range to my ears. They did do a seemless job of it tho, so it wasn't a voice so off.

Anyway, hope that makes things clearer.
madz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the topic of him singing or not, im serioulsy confused, becuz i dowloaded a song form there, i forget waht its called, but, anyway, i typed in the name of the song, and it came up as " Mark Wahlberg,(then title)" so i think he had to have sang some, other whys, we were jipped out!, lol, he has such talent in singing, i wishe he would do more.
markymarklover1982

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so hoping that was him really singing. But I went to this one site and it says......the soundtrack is centered upon five songs credited to Steel Dragon, with Mark Wahlberg's vocals provided by both Jeff Scott Soto (Yngwie Malmsteen Band) and Mike Matijevec (Steel Heart). This sentence kinda confused me and I think it means it wasn't him, I really hope I am wrong, and maybe i was misreading it. If you want to check for yourself i went to cdnow.com and then went to search by: Album Title and then typed in Rock Star then press go. Scroll down till you see soundtrack and then click there. Alot of information about the movie is there, you may need to scroll down to see the other info. Make sure you split rock and star up or in don't work. sorry if i confuse you.

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Rock Star All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: