Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Post your Member Reviews (spoilers) Don't read don't want to

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Planet of the Apes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 1:59 am    Post subject: Post your Member Reviews (spoilers) Don't read don't want to Reply with quote

Lets get some fan reviews [expand on the greatness or not so goodness of POTA]. There's a ton by the sci-fi boys, now what about us? This is a spoiler space, so feel free to spill. I didn't as I need to stew on the endng more.

I'll start. Here's my mini review, minor spoilers. Final warning.

One word: Fabulous! Alot of fanboys are all complaining about the lack of a clear message like the original. I feel the film reflects our time, the message of -isms (race, sex) is subtle [like it usually is in the States]. First off the opening titles are great, kinda like James Bond. Mark, of course looks fabulous in his cool uniform.

Rick Baker did a wonderful job on makeup and he said he rushed thru them. If that was rushed, how much real could he have gotten the apes to look?! The sets were great too, didn't look at all set like some have said. The actors were all great, esp Tim Roth. Crazy monkey indeed.

Mark has some great scenes where he shows some emotions you usually don't see in action movies. His character isn't very commanding as you expect from a Captain or if you're influenced by Heston's version, but that is Tim's favorite kind of hero. Out of his element, confident but not overly controlling. I am happy to report Mark actually looked like he knew how to ride!

The twist is the end, but the movie doesn't end just there. It was very cool. Oh and the music, esp the title/end credit stuff: fab too, I bet it'll be sampled by some DJs.

Iffy parts:
The Ari/Deana/Leo triangle wasn't quite filled out, esp on Deana's side.

Some ids on the various charcters. There didn't seem to be any names mentioned on either apes or humans. Hard to ID even if I've been immersed in the movie since last year.

All and all I give it 3 stars out of 4. I am definately seeing this one again. (I got stuck with a theatre with crying babies and cell phones-oh the humanity!) I expect a bit more indepth review after I see it a few more times without crying babies and ringing cells.

Lianne
MarkWahlbergsNumberOneFan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw it yesterday. my review is very short though. i thought it was a great movie with a lot of action. it kept me hooked the entire time on what was going to happen next. the end was also very good with a twist, which is always a great surprise. marks acting skills are the best, as usual and he made the movie a whole lot better. he brought it up to a very high level. the other actors were very good as well which also helped bring the movie up. the costumes were fantastic making everything very believable and the set was also amazing making you feel that was real as well. everything about the movie was fantastic. i give this movie 4 stars out of 4. ill see it again tonight ( if its not sold out! thank god i got my ticket early yesterday, it was sold out after that!) and i reccomend that all of you see it as well. fantastic job mark.. keep up the awesome work! this makes me look forward to rock star and the truth about charlie much much more! YEAH!!!!!!
Tinker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very lucky, I was at my local theatre for the first showing, 11:00 am. After searching for 10 minutes to find the PERFECT seat. Lucky for me there were not to many people in the theatre. I would say a total of 30 maybe.

I was disappointed that they did not run the Rock Star trailer at all. Bad movie theatre, BAD.

The spaceship set was very realistic to me, infact most all the sets looked genuine. I felt like the village of the apes could have been better. (personal opinion) The make-up incredible, Helena Bonham-Carter incredible, she really did bring life to her character. Tim Roth INCREDIBLE. I felt Charlie Heston's scene was a little cheezie. And really the whole Leo, Ari and Daena triangle, something was totally missing. There needed to be more. With at least one of them. It seems that Mark strays from the in-depth relationship scenes in all of his movies. (I told my friend last night that he needs to do a romantic love story, with a good ending. Maybe I will write him one. LOL)
The ending, I understand the whole sequel thing, but man!!!! Could have been better.

All in all I enjoyed it and I felt the message. I was really pulling for Leo to get with Ari. Strange but it really doesnt matter about what is on the outside. It is all about the inside. And I felt her coming through to Leo. I felt no connection with Leo and Daena other than they were both independent humans.

I would rate it an 8 from a scale from 1-10.
But that is subject to change, because I need to see it again too.

[This message has been edited by Tinker (edited July 28, 2001).]
LISA*MARK FAN*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw the movie and thought it was extremely well done. Mark Wahlberg plays a very believeable character, both on his home planet in 2029 and on ApeCity.( not to mention he look very sexy in his outfit as a Capt. and when it's all torn) I loved his relationship with his monkey, that I think saves his butt at the end! The thumbs up thing was so cute!

I loved the costums and make-up of the Apes. They were so well done half the time, I forgot there were people under them. I thought it was so interesting, the way apes and buy people for pets. I was never expecting that!

Mark has always been a good actor, in my eyes, and when my best friend saw the movie with me, she not only agreed on his looks, but on his talent. After we saw POTA in theater we went to my house and saw The Perfect Storm. I can't tell you how different he looks. And, I can't figure out whether or not I like Mark's scrufy fisherman facial hair, or his heroic shave! He's just so nice in both!

Out of 10 I give that movie a 10+. It was so well done, and every part made me want to see more. I loved the ending, and I hope there's going to be a sequel!

I was reading an article with Mark and some other people, about his role in POTA. It was talking about why Mark didn't wear a loincloth, like the character did in the first movie. This is what he said:

Q:Why didn't you wear a loincloth in Planet of the Apes? Ever since Boogie Nights, people have wanted to see what you're packing.

Mark:There's a sequel coming. [Laughs] I wouldn't be comfortable in a loincloth. But I understand it. I wanted to see [Apes co-star] Estella Warren's tits the whole time. It's not nice; it's not fair to her. I know a lot of people want to see that, but it's not fair.

Q:Are you reluctant because of your underwear-modeling days?

Mark:It's that. But I didn't feel that comfortable with it; I'd rather have my clothes on. And I'd rather be looking at Estella's tits.

Q:You could go on eBay and make a lot of money with your loincloth.

Mark:I've got something far more valuable than a loincloth for eBay: [the prosthetic penis from Boogie Nights].

I think Mark has a thing for his co-star!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Planet of the Apes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: