Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
British Accents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Italian Job
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: British Accents Reply with quote

Hello!
My teacher said that the Italian Job is one of his favorite movies, so since it's the end of the year he showed it to us in class!
At first when i read about the movie, i was a little dissapointed. I thought it sounded simmilar to his other roles, and i didn't really want to see him as a robber.
But now that I've seen the original, I can't wait to see Mark play this part! It was really good and funny too. I was imagining Mark as the lead character the whole time.
I was wondering if the characters are going to speak with British accents in the new version. I think they should.

[This message has been edited by Laura15 (edited June 16, 2002).]
LYNNE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be difficult to recreate with all British accents especially Micheal Caines lovely London cockney accent.I think the accents in the original film add a lot to the humour of the film.I think it will be good with a mixture of American & English.Anyway didn't Mark say one of the hardest parts in Rockstar was when he was trying to do the English accent in the mirror?He needs to keep his lovely sexy American way.By the way what did you think of the end?.Don't want to say too much for anyone who has not seen it.
Laura15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynne
I thought the British accents added a lot to the comedy of the film too. I don't think it would be the same without them. And i loved how Mark sounded with his accent in Rock Star. I thought he did a good job with it.

A lot of the other kids in my class hated the ending, but i liked it. I liked how it makes you use your imagination
I hope that doesn't give it away!
LYNNE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was really funny when he did the British accent in Rock Star.It really cracked me up although he did it well.I just read a posting on one of the other boards that they were going to make a sequel to the original film but it never happened maybe thats why they chose that ending.I thought the ending got your imagination going too.I need to see it again now but I have to wait until August when it'll be released on DVD but I've already ordered it can't wait.
LYNNE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original is very lighthearted british comedy even though it is to do with a robbery & the ending really keeps you guessing.If you get the chance to see it I think you would like it.I really don't know how they plan to do Mark's version.It could be more of a serious theme,who knows until we hear more updates.
lelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Laura! It won't be the same without all the cool British accents. Mind you if the Americans did attempt to do British accents it would just be insulting!
Anyway I think I've made my opinion about this film heard!!
LYNNE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you think Mark could handle a London cockney accent.Where are you Citygal do you know cockney rhyme.Boat race,almond rocks,apples & pears,joe blake.Are any of these right?
City Gal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live right in the city of London Lynne and know too much cockney, when my friend from New York comes over I have a great time confusing him.

All the taxi drivers say I talk posh cockney but I think cos I used to work in the office and had to have a professional sounding voice now the two have blended together but ususally people can suss out where I'm from cos of the voice.

I do like it and most other British accents although sometimes when I'm in Manchester or Newcastle visiting friends I have a problem understanding the people up there.
kescori

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that The Italian Job will be way more serious than the original b/c of the humor factor. Maybe it's me or not, but I think that Mark's strong point is drama, not comedy. No offense though, 'cause I LOVE Mark in everything he does, but, well, some things he's just gonna do better in than others.

Kes

------------------
Always and Forever Real

LYNNE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we know Mark would not be good at comedy.Have we seen him doing it?Talking about accents again,I think a lot of American actors/actresses can do good English accents & vice versa.What about Ewan Mcgreggor in Black Hawk Down.We have Damian Lewis in Band Of Brothers.There are loads of them that swop accents & do it well.It just made me laugh when Mark did it in Rockstar because I knew his voice so well.What do you all think for The Italian Job.English,US or a mixture?I think a mixture.Oh & don't forget Rene Zellweiger in Bridget Jones.
City Gal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is people don't usually like it when a remake is too close to the original, they say it's just a rip off and in my opinion a waste of time. Whats the point in making an exactly the same movie just with a different cast, Michael Caine is in a league of his own and really made this movie his, I'm not sure if someone else could pull it off as good as him, thats probably why they will cut down on the humour and change a few things.

But I think an American remake should be great and Mark is perfectly cast in this film.
LYNNE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark will be great in it I'm sure.I think they should go to town on the car chases because that was a big feature in the original,They could do so much with that.Stunts with cars are really good now.Much more daring like The Fast & The Furious.
Rachie lou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that this film needs the british accents, i am londoner my self and it just wouldn't be the same without them. I think it would be great to hear mark say "your only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" michael caine is wicked, did you see him in Austin powers? although i really don't know why Americans find british accents so funny. one of my best mates is American, and when she took me to see her family in new york everone keot asking me to speak British, it's like dude, you speak british too, it's just English in a london accent. i am a true cockney a south londoner, and i think mark would sound really sexy trying to do a british accebt. anyway i'm gonna take off me daisy roots, go doen the apple and pairs, and get meself a cup of rosey lee. (can anyone guess what i just said in rhyming slang)

speak to you all later

lol Rachie lou
City Gal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachie lou, love your name. A true cockney is someone who is born within the sound of bow bells in the East end, that's where the language started amongst the market traders as they were selling black market goods and didn't want the police catching them sell the stuff so they invented the cockney rhyming slang.

I heard that the movie will be more action than comedy but I suppose it's cos no one can re do Michael Caine like he can.
LYNNE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachielou nice to see another Brit here.
Cor blimey luv!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Italian Job All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: