Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
About the movie...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Italian Job
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Genius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: About the movie... Reply with quote

Guardian Unlimited staff
Friday April 12, 2002

Mark Wahlberg will step into Michael Caine's shoes when he stars in a remake of vintage 1969 crime caper The Italian Job. Executive produced by Working Title, the new version will relocate the bulk of the action from Italy to Los Angeles. But the makers are keen to insist that the classic Mini Coopers that featured so prominently in the original will still have a part to play in the remake. Directed by F. Gary Gray (The Negotiator), The Italian Job begins filming at Paramount Studios on August 3.
elise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have faith that if mark chose the film, he thinks it is worth remaking, and that is good enough for me.
look forward to seeing it Wink
Tigger00Mark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mark!
markluver09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCG- filming starts on August 3rd. its in the info mark s. gave.
I don't mind remakes, Mark has done a lot of new things in the past so I don't mind. Thanks for the info Mark! Anyone know where the Paramount Studios he will be at are? I think it says LA but I'm kinda illiterate at the moment.

[This message has been edited by markluver09 (edited April 25, 2002).]
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's alot more background on the movie. Figure since nobody seems to care much about spoilers cos you're all greedy buggers. LOL I'll cop to being the biggest infomation greed monster.

Discuss - stepping into Michael Caine's shoes on a UK cult film. Remakes esp in light if what Mark supposedly said on Extra [general discussion - 'back' by Mark S. April 24]...

Wahlberg to Star in 'Italian Job' By Michael Fleming

NEW YORK (Variety) - Actor Mark Wahlberg is set to star in "The Italian Job," a high-octane heist drama that will begin shooting Aug. 3 at Paramount Pictures.

F. Gary Gray is directing the film, a remake of the 1969 caper that starred Michael Caine, Benny Hill and Noel Coward.

That film, though considered something of a stylish classic because of its clever use of the tiny, high-speed Mini Cooper cars for a memorable chase sequence, was much more of a comedy than the new version will be.

While the original was a gold heist set entirely in Europe, the new version -- scripted by Donna and Wayne Powers -- will begin in Italy, but with the robbery taking place in Los Angeles.

Automaker BMW bought the Mini Cooper and is releasing the first new models of the automobiles in 2003. That's good timing, because the cars will figure prominently in the revamped plot.

Wahlberg will play Charlie Croker, a career criminal who heads the crew that masterminds a massive gold bullion take. It is made possible when they create the largest traffic jam in L.A. history.

While that disables the populace, the criminals are empowered by their use of the Mini Coopers, which are incredibly fast but small enough to travel on sidewalks and the subway system while the city and the cops are
immobilized.

That plays to the strength of director Gray, who completed the Vin Diesel picture "Diablo" for New Line, and previously directed the logistically complicated action films "The Negotiator" and "Set It Off."

For Wahlberg, the film marks the second high-profile remake he's toplined in Europe, as he starred with Thandie Newton in the Jonathan Demme-directed "Charade" remake, which Universal is calling "The Truth About Charlie."
Emat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bashing from me; for the most part I totally agree with you.
Kazuko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the Italian Job.It is amazing movie! I'm looking forward to seeing the remake of the film, even the shooting has not started.

With the remake version, it is said that it becomes a cool criminal action film cutting off the element of the comedy of the original movie. If the element of comedy is shaved, it will be like mixing "Gone in 60 Seconds" with "Oceans 11"? Because, some expert's friends are assembled to challenge a large crime. And police and some rival are going to chase them, ofcourse there are big car action sequences. And the guy who just came out of prison is a leader of the biggest crime.

I think that flight / pursuit scene using the mini cooper would become good rather than the original. I hope the gold robbery
scene and Italian mafias will also become more precise. Anyway, screenplay and casing are the key, I think. I wish the film will be more fresh! than we expect.
LYNNE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi being from the UK I can highly reccommend you watch The Italian Job It has a cult following over here It is a very clever film.Mark must be happy with the dicisions he is making & the roles he is taking on .All true fans will love whatever he does.Good luck Mark

------------------
lil_chynacali

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it would be fun to do remakes. when you do an original, it's original. you get to chose however you want the character to be portrayed (with the director's lee-way). but with a remake, you get to test your skills to see if you can make it as good as the first, while making sure you do the original actor/film justice. i applaude mark for taking on the task twice.
Maggie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the big hit meets three kings...heist, boullion? i agree...enough with the remakes though! however, they do say the third time's a charm!
lynnray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lianne or Mark,

Do either of you know if casting has already been completed for this film? For extra's or other roles? And if I read correctly, they will be filming 1st in L.A and then in Europe or is it the other way around? I don't have a agent yet so I have to do what I can to find this stuff out

Thanks
SweetAngel

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to watch the Italian Job
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Italian Job All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: