Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Reviews Anyone???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LynneInMass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 1999 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reviews Anyone??? Reply with quote

I saw Three Kings last night & I must say it was quite...different. I thought it was a great film, though a different turn on the war genre. Mark should be getting his acceptance speech ready for Best Supporting Actor for the Oscars in March. The filming was wonderful, using the gritty filming style made it look like I was stuck in an actual sandstorm. Utter genius. I think David Russell should also get the nom for Best Dirction & Best screenplay, even though as Entertainment Weekly reported, that he stole the screenplay from John Ridley. But anyway, the movie is one of my picks for best movie of the year right along side The Sixth Sense, which also cameos another Wahlberg if I am not mistaken...LOL!!! Take care people and get to the movies!!!

Lynne =)
QTPIE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 1999 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I saw Three Kings saturday and I thought it was great! The part w/ the valve was sorta out there though. Does Ice Cube just carry one every where? But the rest was great and Mark's preformance was spectacular! It comes in second on my fav movie list, keeping The Big Hit at #1! I've got this thing for Contract killers w/ a sweet heart. (Maybe it's just the adrenaline rush, but. . . )
LynneInMass.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 1999 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QTPIE,

The valve was brought by a medic. But I thought it was amazing how he survived that long with just the valve. Plus, what was up with Clooney putting the valve into Mark's chest...Tips from Dr. Ross perhaps...LOL!!!

QTPIE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 1999 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!! Thanx for clearin' it up Lynn. And with the valve was it pointy on one side or blunt and he just stabbed it in thereAbout how the valve could keep him alive for so long, how'd they get it out and save him? Or does he just walk around with a valve stuck in his chest(and a buff one at that)?

------------------
Luv,
Isabella :)

LynneInMass.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 1999 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabella,

I agree with you all the way, great movie though =)

Lynne =)
QTPIE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 1999 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUP! Best movie eva! except THE BIG HIT! That's the best. I heard it was getting alot of good movie reveiws and some bad one's from the citics and stuff, but More good than bad. Then I went on the Three Kings chatboard ans everyone was puttin' down the movie. But NEway. . .

------------------
Luv,

LynneInMass.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 1999 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Entertainment Weekly that I got in the mail yesterday has an article on early buzz for Oscar nods & they list the three movies so far to make an impression: The Sixth Sense, American Beauty, & Three Kings. The article said that Oscar nods could go to George Clooney & Mark Wahlberg as well as original screenplay & direction. Wahoo!!!

P.S. This is in no way related, but my BOSTON RED SOX just won game 3 of the playoffs (9-3) after everyone said they'd be swept by Cleveland!!! GO SOX!!!
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 1999 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to see Three Kings. All I can say ths is by far the best movie Mark has done since Boogie in terms of character development. Russell, the director, kept the whole movie feel like it was made during th war. The old Warner Brothers tag, the sharp contrasting film stock, the Rodney King beating on TV and the burning oil wells they showed over and over again on the news.

Spoiler space
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
<<
>>
<>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>
>>>>
<<|
<<
<>
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

The joking around by the characters really helps one understand they were just regular people who didn't understand what the whole war was really about. It was just a way to get away, make some money. The morality tale is woven into the film, with the characters showing their character progress as they learn more of the war and the broken promises. In the begining, Chief, Vig and Troy show their ignorance and prejudice by calling the iraqis tubanheads and camel jockeys. Troy is the last to realize the gold isn't everything and the scene with the american trained torturer was interesting. You see how war had changed the man from one of our allies in the Iran/Iraq war, to enemy. It becomes a turning point for Troy as he decides not to kill the man. I thought the film would become all serious but the Infiniti Convertible, the c-4 footballs and the epilougue made it a well mixed film.

I personally didn't see the ending as a pasted-on happy ending as some critics stated. The Colonel in the beigining of the movie told Archie the Gulf War was a media war and what better way to win a media war than to let the rebels escape to Iran and have the three men have a honorary discharge. The military had enough trouble being unable to kill Saddam and a througly unsatisfactory war filled with green computer enhanced clips for the news.

In regard to the valve they used on Troy (Mark) after he got shot, as Clooney's character is in the special forces, he would be trained in life saving procedures. The valve is only temporary until they fixed up the hole caused by the bullet. As he wasn't bleeding badly, it probably wouldn't lead to complications.

In conclusion - GO SEE IT!!
LynneInMass.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 1999 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lianne,

I saw your post the first time, thank you...LOL just joking!!!

Lynne =)
QTPIE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 1999 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY! Does anyone know who sings the song that is in all the commercials 4 THREE KINGS? The one that goes ". . .I can't do nothin' for you man, you want six dollars for what. . ." If ya know plulez reply! Thanx!

------------------
Luv,

Brock Landers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 1999 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true than they shoot a live corpse on the movie!!! That's freaken madness!!!!
I read Mark was very shocked in shooting that scene!!!

Super Genius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 1999 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it was a prop. The director, however, thought it would be very funny to lie to reporters about it. Not so funny now that everyone things it was a real corpse.
LynneInMass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 1999 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabella,

If I remember the song correctly, it is sung by Public Enemy. A slight flashback for me & my rap days.

Lynne =)
daisy79_11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 1999 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was amazing! I would definitely see it again but Boogie Nights is still my favorite!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Three Kings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: