Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Rave review of "The Yards"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cathy Y

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2000 12:44 am    Post subject: Rave review of "The Yards" Reply with quote

A report from the Cannes festival posted on the Film.com website praises "The Yards" as "magnificent." In fact, the critic says that so far it's his favorite film of the festival. The only thing that puzzles me is, where could the critic have seen it, given that the screening isn't until Saturday ... was there some sort of special preview? Anyway, you can read it here:
http://www.film.com/reviews/rev_ff/00cannes/0519b.jhtml
Annie M

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the paragraph from that link about "The Yards". Yeah, makes you wonder how the guy saw it sooner. It is nice to see some possitive fb. for Mark and the others! It's pretty high praise, considering how long James Cahn, Faye Dunaway and Ellen Burstyn have been in the biz... and here comes Mark and the other 2, and they keep pace! I also noticed that there was no mention of any retakes for Mark!
I have heard several times that he has a rep of "getting it right the first time" as far as his lines are concerned. I think a lot of his success is from the fact that he takes his work seriously. If nothing else, he will never be an "out-of-work" actor!!

------------------
Annie M

[This message has been edited by Annie M (edited 21 May 2000).]
Cathy Y

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2000 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a short but very enthusiastic review of "The Yards" (from a general wrap-up of the films shown at the Cannes festival) from Saturday's edition of The Guardian, one of the leading newspapers in England:

"Easily the best English language movie this year - and perhaps even the best of the lot - is The Yards , a sensationally thrilling, devastatingly tough and sinewy tale of gangland violence and city hall corruption in New York from James Gray, the director who brought us Little Odessa. James Caan is outstanding as Uncle Frank, the industrialist who bribes his way into city contracts, and gives a job to ex-con Leo (Mark Wahlberg), who in turn teams up with his smooth-talking buddy Willie (Joaquin Phoenix).

All the principals are superb, and the film is set to become a modern classic."

And we have to wait until September to see this! Aaaargh!

Annie M

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2000 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well....... at least we have "The Perfect Storm" to tide us over!! Better a Mark movie to hold us until the next one, than none at all! lol! If he keeps doing 2 or 3 films a year, we will be sooo spoiled!!

------------------
Annie M
Cathy Y

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2000 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have had a pre-screening for "The Yards" because Entertainment Weekly online had a short paragraph about it on May 19! (Not a review, just the reporter saying she had seen it.) I've been checking for more reviews. The critic from "Variety" didn't like it too much and specifically said that Mark's performance was "OK but too restrained," but also acknowledged that it was probably going to get some good reviews... on the other hand, here's something nice from a Cannes wrap-up in the Washington Post:

"James Gray's second feature, "The Yards," is a gritty urban drama starring Mark Wahlberg as a young ex-con who finds himself drawn unwillingly into a world of corruption in and around New York's subway yards. Wahlberg's intent watchfulness and latent tenderness anchor the film, as does Joaquin Phoenix's freewheeling portrayal of his flamboyant, slippery best friend."
Annie M

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2000 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy,
Thx. for all the clips and everything! I'm afraid that I would make a rotten critic! I just cannot be objective when there are ppl. I like in a film! And certainly not with Mark's films! I know I'm going to love it!

------------------
Annie M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> The Yards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: