Find Mark Wahlberg on Facebook

MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index MarkWahlberg.com
The Official Web Site

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to visit the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
Another POTA time question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Planet of the Apes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura18

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 8:29 pm    Post subject: Another POTA time question Reply with quote

I know this may seem really stupid and sooo obvious, but my friends and i were trying to work it out and we cant. not really any.
so here it goes.

at the end of the movie, when mark returns to earth, he goes forward in time, doesn't he?

it must be the only possible explanation, as thade was alive when mark was at the apes planet, and as we all recall it is thade that is considered "god" on earth to the apes.

but did he mean to do it? i dont think he did, but what did he expect? was he just trying to return to earth in any particular time, just as long as it was earth? coz he couldn't really expect to go back into the electromagnetic storm and get automatically transported back to the time when he was on oberon. after all, if he did that, oberon would never have crashed on "ape planet", and it would never have existed.
Alicia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think it was the storm that shot him into the future. What else could it be? I hear ya, the ending messes with your mind. Some people hate the ending, but I love it. So unexpected! Perfect gateway for a reimagining of Planet of the Apes 2. Ha ha!
V

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's only a movie, but it really upset me to see Mark surrounded by cops with their guns drawn.
Makin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILER ALERT!

I have to say that I was BITTERLY disappointed by the ending.
I think a far better ending would have been if they had revealed the ape takeover of Oberon and the true meaning of Calima at the very end.

See- It was impossible for Thade to escape from the Oberon, as the doors only responded to Mark's palmprint. There was no gas left, so he couldn't have flown to Earth in the Oberon himself. There WAS Mark's crashed spaceship, I initially thought it had something to do with that. The official website says that Ari and Co later dredged it up to display that Leo was a real being, and not just a fairy tale.

There is also the whole alternate universe theory (which Lianne has explained), and the one that Mark actually landed on the wrong planet.

BUT- I hear that the general consensus in L.A (and a hotly rumored basis of the sequel) is that Thades takeover of Earth happened much PRIOR to Leo arriving on the apes planet- ie in the years where Mark was travelling through time, and that Thade arrived back just prior to Leo coming. Thus that explains his instant hatred for Leo, disdain of people and general attitude. (I argue though that the Thade statue appeared old, and he had no familiarity with guns, so it couldn't have happened. )

But who knows?????!
Eris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that wasn't Earth. At least, he wasn't transported to any other planet before, so why would he suddenly end up on Earth?

Wouldn't Pericles also be able to use a handprint to get into the bridge/deck/control room/whatever? After all, Leo did leave him behind. Just a thought.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on my question on the other time thread, I would appreciate it. =)
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Greg of upcomingmovies has a pretty good essay on his reasoning of the ending.

Spoiler Link, don't go if you havn't seen the film, unless you're a spoiler nut like me
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/forum/message.php?message_id=52629

Lianne
M Factor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised everyone is confused about the ending... i'm reading these responses and i would never have thought about any of this.

i just took the planet that mark landed on originally a bit like 'castaway' ie a deserted area - why else would everyone have to stay in a mountainous hill top with a curfew for the humans and you cross a kind of cause way - that in no way indicates that thade took over the earth - maybe just that 'island'...

and as for the actual ending - well i thought it was the future. ie all the apes and humans living together - boy there were some corny lines in that movie!!!!!!!!

not to mention seeing poor ole lincoln as an ape. goodness gracious - the dude would roll over in his grave!!!!!

lol

[This message has been edited by M Factor (edited August 11, 2001).]
Lianne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an early debate by fanboys (I spend a bit of time over at the POTA boards on the various movie sites I visit and they are dominated by guys) but when LEO crashlands, it's not Earth. Burton has said it is definately not Earth and in the film, you can see very clearly there are 2 moons. So it was a planet of Apes.

I didn't think too hard about the ending, it just frustrates you if you try to logically think out every detail. I accept what I thought when I was watching it. Pondered some and add a bit to the theory as I go. Stressing about the meaning is going to drive you nuts. I'm waiting for the DVD or for someone to spill the beans. Cause you know they will eventually.

Lianne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MarkWahlberg.com Forum Index -> Planet of the Apes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: